I really appreciate the thoughtful comments to my last post about playground design. It prompted me to summarise my own views in the form of seven design principles (plus an extra one for luck). What do you think of them? Feel free to continue the conversation!
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- New Arup report places children at the heart of urban planning
- The London Plan is just the start | Child in the City
- Reflections on the Natural Phenomena conference
- Is Calgary ready for child-friendly urban planning?
- Could street play hold the key to creating more sustainable, livable cities?
- The child as an indicator species for cities: reflections on Philadelphia
- Designing Streets for Play – Research and Observation – Playing Out
- Join in a global day to change the way children learn and play
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child accidents child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- RT @ArupGroup: Diverse, accessible #childfriendly spaces will help attract and retain a skilled workforce and enhan… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- RT @playingoutCIC: New @ArupGroup report supports vision for #Bristol #childfriendlycity - let's be 1st UK city to really DO it! https://t.… 2 days ago
- Proud and pleased to see @ArupGroup #urbanchildhoods report out. My take: ow.ly/Xo7L30h5R4n 2 days ago
- RT @Paysagist: @_studio_ludo @timrgill @mbrussoni @blhassinger @BambiLYost @brinklois1 @WilliamPennFdn @reillyw @BvLFoundation Great to see… 3 days ago
- RT @IFPedestrians: @FreeRangeKids @timrgill @traffic twitter.com/victoriawalks/… 4 days ago
- 727,653 page views since July '11