Is child-friendly urban planning and design a ‘rich city’ pursuit? Or can it gain traction in the global South, where most of the world’s urban children will soon be living? I spent a week in Recife, Brazil exploring this question.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Covid-19 and children: what does the science tell us, and what does this mean as the lockdown is eased?
- Academics highlight children’s need for street play during lockdown
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
- Play in the time of coronavirus
- An immodest proposal for Jeff Bezos’s Earth Fund
- Is child-friendly planning a luxury that only rich cities can afford?
- The Chinese educational revolution with outdoor play as its beating heart
- A tribute to Frank Dobson
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- RT @GailB64: Coronavirus: 'Our children are all shut behind closed doors'. SEND children are so often forgotten, but many are struggling si… 8 hours ago
- RT @apsmunro: This has always been a good idea, but never taken off Now is the perfect time. Not only better for learning, but safer to re… 8 hours ago
- RT @apsmunro: A lot of exposures to #COVID19 from these few cases in schools in Ireland But how many secondary cases? Zero It's becoming… 8 hours ago
- RT @alisonstenning: Doing a pair of webinars next week, both focused on #playingout #playstreets, but one with a more detailed focus on com… 12 hours ago
- RT @MamaD10986471: Just attended an incredibly interesting and informative webinar hosted by @EmergingMindsUK regarding play and children's… 12 hours ago
- 927,966 page views since July '11