Is child-friendly urban planning and design a ‘rich city’ pursuit? Or can it gain traction in the global South, where most of the world’s urban children will soon be living? I spent a week in Recife, Brazil exploring this question.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Is child-friendly planning a luxury that only rich cities can afford?
- The Chinese educational revolution with outdoor play as its beating heart
- A tribute to Frank Dobson
- Putting children at the heart of urban planning: a call for action
- Why one city is undergoing a child-friendly revolution
- How to build cities fit for children
- Risk, fear and freedom: a plea to parents
- An interview with… Tim Gill
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- RT @BvLFoundation: Yigit Aksakoglu has served as our Representative in Turkey since 2014. During his tenure with the Bernard van Leer Found… 23 hours ago
- Good to see @official_rpc adding to #childfriendlycities debates. #urbanplay framework looks interesting, as does p… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- RT @wkrussell: What a pleasure & privilege to attend the official opening of Lester's Yard yesterday in Douglas, Isle of Man. So good to se… 2 days ago
- Another call for papers for this upcoming #childfriendlycities conf 15-17 Sept. Deadline: 28 Feb. ow.ly/MYvJ50ymjqZ? #urbanchildhoods 3 days ago
- One to watch #childfriendlycities peeps. Good to see your input @Hannatheplanna twitter.com/official_rpc/s… 3 days ago
- 889,384 page views since July '11