I am pleased to announce that this Autumn, I will be putting on some training on risk, targeted at schools. The workshops, organised by the Council for Learning Outside the Classroom (CLOtC), will look at why outdoor learning and play matter, what a balanced, thoughtful approach to risk looks like, and how this can be developed in schools. The half-day sessions will be repeated in four venues across England in Sept, Oct and Nov. See the end of this post for dates and venues, and head to this CLOtC web page for bookings.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Reflections on the Natural Phenomena conference
- Is Calgary ready for child-friendly urban planning?
- Could street play hold the key to creating more sustainable, livable cities?
- The child as an indicator species for cities: reflections on Philadelphia
- Designing Streets for Play – Research and Observation – Playing Out
- Join in a global day to change the way children learn and play
- A rare glimpse into a messy oasis of adventure play
- BBC news story flagrantly manipulates statistics on school accident claims
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child accidents child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- Hey Kiwis, catch me on national TV *and* radio this morning: ow.ly/7UH030gBrjW on #riskyplay #outdoorlearning #outdooorplay 6 days ago
- Me on my #childfriendly #urban95 London tour w @play_future @DarellHammond @BvLFoundation @dbornat https://t.co/iRmyAwLMWL 1 week ago
- Hey Kiwis - my 25 Nov Auckland speaking engagement plans just got bigger! ow.ly/MaVc30ggSnC #riskyplay #outdoorplay 2 weeks ago
- Paris to use schoolyards as ‘new’ public spaces. ow.ly/4M1830ghjcx #childfriendlyurbanplanning @LTL_Outdoors @playengland 2 weeks ago
- RT @mbrussoni: Good summary article on importance of #play @KidActiveCanada @haloresearch @wkrussell @timrgill @ChristineAlden3 @HELP_UBC @… 2 weeks ago
- 723,492 page views since July '11