I am pleased to announce that this Autumn, I will be putting on some training on risk, targeted at schools. The workshops, organised by the Council for Learning Outside the Classroom (CLOtC), will look at why outdoor learning and play matter, what a balanced, thoughtful approach to risk looks like, and how this can be developed in schools. The half-day sessions will be repeated in four venues across England in Sept, Oct and Nov. See the end of this post for dates and venues, and head to this CLOtC web page for bookings.
About Rethinking Childhood
This website is managed by Tim Gill, an independent scholar and global advocate for children’s play and mobility. His work embraces writing, research, consultancy and public speaking.
Search this website
- Missed the launch events for ‘Urban Playground’? Watch again and read more here
- Announcing 2 launch events for ‘Urban Playground’
- A reminder of the significance of play in lockdown
- My new book ‘Urban Playground’: Sneak peek and seasonal discounted price
- A vibrant young city is building better neighbourhoods for early childhood. Can it sustain and broaden its impact?
- Covid-19 and children: what does the science tell us, and what does this mean as the lockdown is eased?
- Academics highlight children’s need for street play during lockdown
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
- "The need for greater protection for those who suffer most harm is evident to all but those who choose not to see."… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 8 hours ago
- Heart-warming stuff! twitter.com/CazR1chards/st… 9 hours ago
- RT @ActiveTowns: PREMIERE ALERT: Please join me and Urban Playground author @timrgill as we host the live release of our conversation about… 9 hours ago
- RT @StephDujarric: @BrooklynSpoke Paris mayor @Anne_Hidalgo barred cars from almost every street that has a school. https://t.co/mQXdGy6uEb 2 days ago
- RT @apsmunro: Quick thread on Omicron and children from the UK Lot's of mixed messages out there and no time for a deep dive, but the pict… 1 week ago
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia Bernard van Leer Foundation campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- 1,033,509 page views since July '11