How do schools and other settings help children to deal with arguments and disputes? And are some well-meaning approaches doing more harm than good? A young Australian who I met on my recent visit there had some interesting answers to these questions.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- An interview with… Tim Gill
- Leading NGO calls for new thinking on play safety around the world
- How a focus on child-friendliness revived one city’s fortunes
- What is more dangerous, an adventure playground or a conventional playground?
- Last kindergarten in the woods?
- The city that got serious about child-friendly urban planning
- Antwerp’s Play Space Web: smart, child-friendly neighbourhood planning in action
- Studying child-friendly cities, Northern European style
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- RT @5kids1condo: Big announcement! After over a year, we've launched a Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms challenge in BC Supreme cou… 1 day ago
- RT @tweetipy: @timrgill twitter.com/CatrionaSwanso… 1 day ago
- Good to see play mentioned by @nhsengland in #healthycitydesign planning session. https://t.co/hXCz6xbMJr 1 day ago
- Great to meet malaulica.si/en/ a non-profit connecting #ljubljana kids and families to nature and the city. #urbanchildhoods 4 days ago
- RT @play_future: @WRIBrasil @ArupGroup @timrgill @wright_hannahj @fzudohna 4 days ago
- 792,900 page views since July '11