How do schools and other settings help children to deal with arguments and disputes? And are some well-meaning approaches doing more harm than good? A young Australian who I met on my recent visit there had some interesting answers to these questions.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Could street play hold the key to creating more sustainable, livable cities?
- The child as an indicator species for cities: reflections on Philadelphia
- Designing Streets for Play – Research and Observation – Playing Out
- Join in a global day to change the way children learn and play
- A rare glimpse into a messy oasis of adventure play
- BBC news story flagrantly manipulates statistics on school accident claims
- Announcing a new project to build the case for more child-friendly cities
- How street play can help save cities from the car
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child accidents child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- RT @DadepBogota: En en #CongresoDeEspacioPúblico @timrgill nos habla de espacios públicos amigables con la niñez 🌆🚸 https://t.co/4h6oH6lgf9 6 days ago
- RT @deespacio: En el #CongresoDeEspacioPublico @timrgill muestra cómo ha cambiado el acceso de los niños al espacio https://t.co/eLQORkfsbI 6 days ago
- RT @DadepBogota: "Los parques pequeños de los barrios son fundamentales, es ahí donde se aprende" @timrgill en el #CongresoDeEspacioPúblico… 6 days ago
- I'm speaking on risk at this conference on 19 October in Bagshot, Surrey. ow.ly/YxXw30ej7JF #riskyplay #outdoorlearning 6 days ago
- RT @mbrussoni: @WildAboutVan @ParticipACTION @neil_play @PlayGroundology @timrgill @cnalliance @EllenBSandseter @MQDoES_outdoor @OutdoorCla… 6 days ago
- 704,434 page views since July '11