How do schools and other settings help children to deal with arguments and disputes? And are some well-meaning approaches doing more harm than good? A young Australian who I met on my recent visit there had some interesting answers to these questions.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Join in a global day to change the way children learn and play
- A rare glimpse into a messy oasis of adventure play
- BBC news story flagrantly manipulates statistics on school accident claims
- Announcing a new project to build the case for more child-friendly cities
- How street play can help save cities from the car
- What’s so bad about a father trying to make the world a more play-friendly place?
- Playground surfacing (again), cycle helmets and public risk: there are no simple answers
- A small but potentially significant win for risk benefit assessment
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child accidents child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- Survey reveals majority support for car-free city centres. #childfriendlycity types take note! @play_future ow.ly/pOsW30bLZWx 1 week ago
- RT @playingoutCIC: The “car-kid balance is now shifting in many cities” says @KuperSimon in @FT. ow.ly/gqzL30bLgzn. 1 week ago
- RT @naturechildhood: @Shantisos @RyanKSpencer @DrScottSampson @earthplay which would you choose for your kids?… ow.ly/c3ra30bLgsN 1 week ago
- Read the staggering @BBCNews response to my complaint about its school compensation claims story. ow.ly/r2JR30bLlm5 1 week ago
- RT @CaissaPublisher: How cities damage children’s health. ft.com/content/06368e… @MarcusxGrant @TheTCJournal #cities4health 1 week ago
- 687,300 page views since July '11