Street play initiatives can make a real difference to the lives of thousands of children and families across an urban area. This was the key message of the first ever area-wide study of a street play programme, which I carried out for Hackney Council. My evaluation – launched by the London Borough last Friday – also revealed that schemes have caused minimal levels of traffic disruption, and have faced very little local opposition.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- A small but potentially significant win for risk benefit assessment
- Making the case for more playful and child-friendly places
- Back to the future: how London’s new mayor can reconnect children with nature
- An alert and call for action – a new Standard threat to play provision | Bernard Spiegal
- The R word: risk, uncertainty and the possibility of adverse outcomes in play
- Show or tell: How should educators and playworkers back up their real-time decisions about risk?
- Playground head injuries: what does recent research show?
- Pope Francis to Parents: Thou Shalt Free-Range | Free Range Kids
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- Top event coming on #playwork #outdoorplay #riskyplay. From the good people at @popupplay . ow.ly/ohKS304uiZM 2 days ago
- Happy #worldcarfreeday everyone! ow.ly/lgc7304s14G @livingstreets @sustrans 3 days ago
- I’ll be there RT @The_CityCentre: Find out how and why #London should become a #NationalParkCity buff.ly/2clyqY3 via @LondonNPC 4 days ago
- Textbook eg of “bad safety” via @PlayScotland: DoH guidance highlights dangers of plug socket covers | Nursery World ow.ly/hX6n304q0AO 4 days ago
- RT @wkrussell: Really looking forward to meeting the children involved in #UndertheSameSky at #DGD16 in Geneva this Friday https://t.co/N0p… 4 days ago
- 625,308 page views since July '11