This post looks at fires, the value of fire in children’s play and learning, and the sometimes problematic attitudes and actions of the fire authorities. It starts with a personal anecdote. (Its timing on Bonfire Night is kind of coincidental, but kind of not.)
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Snow 1, Snapchat 0 – and why this result matters
- New Arup report places children at the heart of urban planning
- The London Plan is just the start | Child in the City
- Reflections on the Natural Phenomena conference
- Is Calgary ready for child-friendly urban planning?
- Could street play hold the key to creating more sustainable, livable cities?
- The child as an indicator species for cities: reflections on Philadelphia
- Designing Streets for Play – Research and Observation – Playing Out
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child accidents child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- "A strong sense of autonomy is the key to developing the healthy self-motivation that allows children and teens to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- RT @troublemuffins: @StayClasSci @JERutter @eatguineapigs @nature_brains @Wilderness @ChildrenNature @RichLouv @DrScottSampson @humansandna… 1 week ago
- Chuffed! @BvLFoundation: "@time's #1 idea of the day: how to design cities for children. Nicely done @play_future… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- "The well-being of children can have a way of uniting policymakers who disagree on most everything else." Gd piece… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- RT @_studio_ludo: Check out the @Urban95cm study tour with @timrgill! We were able to share findings from our London Study and visit some o… 1 week ago
- 740,934 page views since July '11