This post looks at fires, the value of fire in children’s play and learning, and the sometimes problematic attitudes and actions of the fire authorities. It starts with a personal anecdote. (Its timing on Bonfire Night is kind of coincidental, but kind of not.)
About Rethinking Childhood
This website is managed by Tim Gill, an independent scholar and global advocate for children’s play and mobility. His work embraces writing, research, consultancy and public speaking.
Join 1,375 other subscribers
Search this website
- Missed the launch events for ‘Urban Playground’? Watch again and read more here
- Announcing 2 launch events for ‘Urban Playground’
- A reminder of the significance of play in lockdown
- My new book ‘Urban Playground’: Sneak peek and seasonal discounted price
- A vibrant young city is building better neighbourhoods for early childhood. Can it sustain and broaden its impact?
- Covid-19 and children: what does the science tell us, and what does this mean as the lockdown is eased?
- Academics highlight children’s need for street play during lockdown
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
- RT @Penalosa_G: My bi-weekly webinar is back, change of name to clarify it's about CITIES, not just parks, always FREE, always fascinating… 3 weeks ago
- RT @KidicalMassLond: ‘Kidical Mass’ protest/bike ride on March 12, 11am (from Granary Square in King's Cross to the Tate Modern). It’s a gr… 3 weeks ago
- RT @WRICitiesIndia: #WRIYearEnder | More than just playgrounds: four ways to improve neighborhoods for the very young – Healthy brain devel… 4 weeks ago
- RT @captgouda24: In which the US Department of Transportation makes projections using rigorous methodology. https://t.co/tkA0vBE7bi 1 month ago
- RT @WilliamJRipple: I have fantastic news on Europe's rewilding. Hunting and habitat loss drove many large mammals in Europe close to extin… 1 month ago
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia Bernard van Leer Foundation campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- 1,080,009 page views since July '11