This post looks at fires, the value of fire in children’s play and learning, and the sometimes problematic attitudes and actions of the fire authorities. It starts with a personal anecdote. (Its timing on Bonfire Night is kind of coincidental, but kind of not.)
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Risk, fear and freedom: a plea to parents
- An interview with… Tim Gill
- Leading NGO calls for new thinking on play safety around the world
- How a focus on child-friendliness revived one city’s fortunes
- What is more dangerous, an adventure playground or a conventional playground?
- Last kindergarten in the woods?
- The city that got serious about child-friendly urban planning
- Antwerp’s Play Space Web: smart, child-friendly neighbourhood planning in action
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- RT @hayes_tracy: Join us for launch of Nature, Outdoor Learning & Play BERA sig convened by me & @MarkFLeather Tues 2nd July @CumbriaUni in… 2 days ago
- RT @nbphysliteracy: Blog post from Rethinking Childhood on a more balanced perspective on Risk! Take a look! *English only https://t.co/7zz… 2 days ago
- Traffic pollution makes 1000s of kids ill with asthma. US cases fell by 1/3 in a decade, but nos still too high.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- Barcelona's mobility plan "aims for 500 #superblocks with almost 70 percent of its streets eventually devoted to mi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- Congrats to the city of Tel Aviv-Yafo, whose pioneering #Urban95 work has been recognised by @FastCompany’s 2019 Wo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago
- 833,396 page views since July '11