I really appreciate the thoughtful comments to my last post about playground design. It prompted me to summarise my own views in the form of seven design principles (plus an extra one for luck). What do you think of them? Feel free to continue the conversation!
About Rethinking Childhood
This website is managed by Tim Gill, an independent scholar and global advocate for children’s play and mobility. His work embraces writing, research, consultancy and public speaking.
Join 1,375 other followers
Search this website
- Missed the launch events for ‘Urban Playground’? Watch again and read more here
- Announcing 2 launch events for ‘Urban Playground’
- A reminder of the significance of play in lockdown
- My new book ‘Urban Playground’: Sneak peek and seasonal discounted price
- A vibrant young city is building better neighbourhoods for early childhood. Can it sustain and broaden its impact?
- Covid-19 and children: what does the science tell us, and what does this mean as the lockdown is eased?
- Academics highlight children’s need for street play during lockdown
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
- RT @AirRoadsHnps: 👋 It’s #StreetsForKids day coming up on 21/10/22. @WatersideAcad @WA_ArtDept @hnps2015 @carowoodley @metecoban92 can anyo… 4 hours ago
- RT @apiplay: To level up children’s #play opportunities, we are urging the government to specifically allocate monies from #LevellingUp fun… 4 hours ago
- RT @EladNehorai: I’ve never seen a video so perfectly sum up the structural and cultural issues that have led Americans to be so lonely. So… 6 hours ago
- RT @netwench: @activetraveleng A #SchoolStreets video per chance? 👍 This tweet video shows our trial back in 2018 & the change has been phe… 7 hours ago
- Reading all these quotes from adults 👇isn't it funny how we still think the problem is with the kids. (Sidebar: thi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 9 hours ago
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia Bernard van Leer Foundation campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- 1,066,869 page views since July '11