This post has a simple aim: to get you to rethink playground safety. Through a handful of images of playgrounds from around the world, I hope to encourage you to abandon any preconceived notions you may have about what a safe playground looks like.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Why one city is undergoing a child-friendly revolution
- How to build cities fit for children
- Risk, fear and freedom: a plea to parents
- An interview with… Tim Gill
- Leading NGO calls for new thinking on play safety around the world
- How a focus on child-friendliness revived one city’s fortunes
- What is more dangerous, an adventure playground or a conventional playground?
- Last kindergarten in the woods?
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- Thinking of applying for a #churchillfellowship to @wcmtuk? Head here on 4 Sept. Deadline for applications: 17 Sept. ow.ly/HC6j50vG01o 13 hours ago
- Whatever was going on in this woodland den, I can't see how it warrants such a heavy-handed response.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- “Free play and childhood independence have become relics, insurance risks, at times criminal offences.” Yup.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- Good to see @GlasgowCC taking steps to becoming a more #childfriendlycity. ow.ly/z46E50vznRq #urbanchildhoods 4 days ago
- "If we were talking about a new medicine the buzz would be huge, but these results suggest that being able to go fo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- 855,704 page views since July '11