I really appreciate the thoughtful comments to my last post about playground design. It prompted me to summarise my own views in the form of seven design principles (plus an extra one for luck). What do you think of them? Feel free to continue the conversation!
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
- Play in the time of coronavirus
- An immodest proposal for Jeff Bezos’s Earth Fund
- Is child-friendly planning a luxury that only rich cities can afford?
- The Chinese educational revolution with outdoor play as its beating heart
- A tribute to Frank Dobson
- Putting children at the heart of urban planning: a call for action
- Why one city is undergoing a child-friendly revolution
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- RT @Qendra_M: Urbanism shouldn’t be left out of this picture as air pollution linked to higher covid death rates #mobility, #cleanair, #emi… 6 hours ago
- RT @wkrussell: This is absolutely what I mean by #spatialjustice. We need to think about how children without private outdoor space can sta… 22 hours ago
- RT @playingout: All residential streets should be low-speed and pedestrian priority right now to allow for safe social distancing and exerc… 1 day ago
- A proposal that needs serious, urgent attention. twitter.com/HarrietHarman/… 1 day ago
- RT @harrietgrant: Play/children people of twitter - the Guardian Anywhere but Westminster team want families under lockdown around the Uk (… 1 day ago
- 902,340 page views since July '11