Every year since 1979 there has been a Big Garden Bird Watch, a UK-wide survey organised by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. I can’t help wondering about a survey of a different species: a Big Outdoor Child Watch.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- A reminder of the significance of play in lockdown
- My new book Urban Playground: Sneak peek and seasonal discounted price
- A vibrant young city is building better neighbourhoods for early childhood. Can it sustain and broaden its impact?
- Covid-19 and children: what does the science tell us, and what does this mean as the lockdown is eased?
- Academics highlight children’s need for street play during lockdown
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
- Play in the time of coronavirus
- An immodest proposal for Jeff Bezos’s Earth Fund
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia Bernard van Leer Foundation campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- RT @DrHelenDodd: Published today our paper about why adventurous play might decrease children's risk for anxiety. This forms the basis for… 6 hours ago
- RT @playingout: We've heard too many stories of parents keeping their children indoors or feeling judged for letting them play outside. Wh… 12 hours ago
- RT @kateferguson4: Grim words from Professor Russell Viner (President, Royal College of Paediatrics) on the impact of school closures. He s… 14 hours ago
- Fascinating replies from children to this #lockdown3 #playground closures story. Many worried about surface transmi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 14 hours ago
- Calling #ltns #cycling #schoolstreets peeps: share with me good news stories about recent schemes *with physical me… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 hours ago
- 966,428 page views since July '11