Every year since 1979 there has been a Big Garden Bird Watch, a UK-wide survey organised by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. I can’t help wondering about a survey of a different species: a Big Outdoor Child Watch.
About Rethinking Childhood
This website is managed by Tim Gill, an independent scholar and global advocate for children’s play and mobility. His work embraces writing, research, consultancy and public speaking.
Search this website
- Missed the launch events for ‘Urban Playground’? Watch again and read more here
- Announcing 2 launch events for ‘Urban Playground’
- A reminder of the significance of play in lockdown
- My new book ‘Urban Playground’: Sneak peek and seasonal discounted price
- A vibrant young city is building better neighbourhoods for early childhood. Can it sustain and broaden its impact?
- Covid-19 and children: what does the science tell us, and what does this mean as the lockdown is eased?
- Academics highlight children’s need for street play during lockdown
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
- RT @reSITE_: "It's about weaving play, gentle exploration, casual social contact, a little bit of unpredictability" @timrgill, author of #U… 35 minutes ago
- RT @wkrussell: Now available free! Special issue of URBAN DESIGN 156 Autumn 2020 on child friendly cities. Edited by @adevoce with articles… 2 hours ago
- RT @SudeshnaACE: IPA is celebrating its 60th anniversary in 2021. To commemorate this milestone, @IPA_World is bringing out a book “Childre… 2 hours ago
- This moving family bedtime story 👇speaks volumes about children and road danger, and about the moral power of takin… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- RT @talklandscape: The notion of play often brings about real feelings of nostalgia and memories linking us to places, people and better da… 3 days ago
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia Bernard van Leer Foundation campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- 986,712 page views since July '11