Every year since 1979 there has been a Big Garden Bird Watch, a UK-wide survey organised by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. I can’t help wondering about a survey of a different species: a Big Outdoor Child Watch.
About Rethinking Childhood
This website is managed by Tim Gill, an independent scholar and global advocate for children’s play and mobility. His work embraces writing, research, consultancy and public speaking.
Search this website
- Missed the launch events for ‘Urban Playground’? Watch again and read more here
- Announcing 2 launch events for ‘Urban Playground’
- A reminder of the significance of play in lockdown
- My new book ‘Urban Playground’: Sneak peek and seasonal discounted price
- A vibrant young city is building better neighbourhoods for early childhood. Can it sustain and broaden its impact?
- Covid-19 and children: what does the science tell us, and what does this mean as the lockdown is eased?
- Academics highlight children’s need for street play during lockdown
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
- RT @BrentToderian: Never forget, one of the smartest investments you can make in your streets, communities & cities is investing in healthy… 14 hours ago
- I think @DrHelenDodd @EllenBSandseter @mbrussoni might know some people who’d be interested. twitter.com/kathrynhesketh… 15 hours ago
- RT @decid_toolkit: Our partners @UNHABITAT have written about the DeCID handbook, addressing why it is needed, what it offers and how it in… 15 hours ago
- Swings are particularly significant when designing public spaces with girls in mind, suggests this article 👇 (with… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 16 hours ago
- RT @ChwaraeCymru: Rhag ofn i chi ei fethu – taflen wybodaeth gan @timrgill Mae’n cynnig gwybodaeth ymarferol am ddefnyddio asesu risg-budd… 16 hours ago
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia Bernard van Leer Foundation campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- 1,026,691 page views since July '11