First, I would like to thank everyone who has responded so far to my appeal last month for evidence to build the policy case for play. The material I have received has almost without exception fitted my brief. But there are gaps, so I am putting out one last call for help.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- BBC news story flagrantly manipulates statistics on school accident claims
- Announcing a new project to build the case for more child-friendly cities
- How street play can help save cities from the car
- What’s so bad about a father trying to make the world a more play-friendly place?
- Playground surfacing (again), cycle helmets and public risk: there are no simple answers
- A small but potentially significant win for risk benefit assessment
- Making the case for more playful and child-friendly places
- Back to the future: how London’s new mayor can reconnect children with nature
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child accidents child death child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- RT @DarellHammond: "A city transformed by kids" political will key ingredient to #childfriendlycities youtube.com/watch?v=N7IahT… #urban95 @tim… 20 hours ago
- Victim blaming at its worst @playingoutCIC: Study finds children can't safely cross busy roads until age 14!! m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_58… 2 days ago
- Hey educators, @ukedchat at 8pm this eve is on #outdoorlearning #riskyplay #forestschool etc 2 days ago
- Ta! @ForestSchooled: Should we stop telling children to "be careful"? Inspired by @timrgill bit.ly/2ofGzTX #forestschool #riskyplay 2 days ago
- Competition time! Help Croydon with its message re: #outdoorplay #playoutdoors #cycling ow.ly/q5pA30aL2TT 1 week ago
- 677,478 page views since July '11