Today is Playday, the annual play celebration. I am going to take a step back from the festivals, the Council fun days and the PR campaigning, important though they are. Instead, I want to explore one of the reasons why so many children are losing out on the opportunity to play outside in the first place: the car.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Putting children at the heart of urban planning: a call for action
- Why one city is undergoing a child-friendly revolution
- How to build cities fit for children
- Risk, fear and freedom: a plea to parents
- An interview with… Tim Gill
- Leading NGO calls for new thinking on play safety around the world
- How a focus on child-friendliness revived one city’s fortunes
- What is more dangerous, an adventure playground or a conventional playground?
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- RT @woodlandtribe: Wonderful reading and viewing from @timrgill. Play needs to have anarchic, risky and messy elements if it is to be true… 20 hours ago
- Glorious glorious sand and water at @anjiplay. I plan to share more from my flying visit to this revelatory Chinese… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- RT @adevoce: ‘To celebrate children you have to celebrate disorder. We were like little anarchists...my light shone too bright for them’. A… 1 week ago
- RT @OutdoorClassDay: 1/4 In 2011, at the launch of @timrgill's Sowing the Seeds report, a group of educators and environmentalists discusse… 1 week ago
- You've heard of #superblocks. Barcelona has 6. Vitoria-Gasteiz has 63. It has spent over £50m on them. And they hav… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- 870,388 page views since July '11