A nice audio news piece on road closures for play, as broadcast on the BBC Radio 4 programme PM on Weds 3 August 2011. Featuring the wonderful people at Bristol’s Playing Out campaign, some local Bristolians, and yours truly.
About Rethinking Childhood
This website is managed by Tim Gill, an independent scholar and global advocate for children’s play and mobility. His work embraces writing, research, consultancy and public speaking.
Search this website
- Missed the launch events for ‘Urban Playground’? Watch again and read more here
- Announcing 2 launch events for ‘Urban Playground’
- A reminder of the significance of play in lockdown
- My new book ‘Urban Playground’: Sneak peek and seasonal discounted price
- A vibrant young city is building better neighbourhoods for early childhood. Can it sustain and broaden its impact?
- Covid-19 and children: what does the science tell us, and what does this mean as the lockdown is eased?
- Academics highlight children’s need for street play during lockdown
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
- America, your laws and culture on guns and transport are killing thousands of children every year. And your governm… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- RT @NaturePremium1: It's great to see organisations sharing our campaign & believing in the difference it could make to children. Thank yo… 3 days ago
- This thoughtful thread 👇on a key urban transport design problem - bus stops beside cycle paths - shows the value of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- RT @EVOLVEadvice: Just 21 days until the National EVC Conference. Hosted by @LouiseBeale & supported by @VisitEVOLVE @YHAOfficial @PGLTrave… 3 days ago
- RT @jennyjroe: Thank you @timrgill for a wonderful introduction today to EC1 New Deal Communities and child friendly London for @UVaSARC an… 3 days ago
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia Bernard van Leer Foundation campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- 1,053,761 page views since July '11