In this weekend’s Guardian, columnist Tim Lott writes about how his seven-year-old daughter ended up in hospital with a nasty injury after a cycling accident that was entirely his fault. He had been giving her a lift on the back of his bike, and her foot got horribly caught up in the wheel.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- What is more dangerous, an adventure playground or a conventional playground?
- Last kindergarten in the woods?
- The city that got serious about child-friendly urban planning
- Antwerp’s Play Space Web: smart, child-friendly neighbourhood planning in action
- Studying child-friendly cities, Northern European style
- Snow 1, Snapchat 0 – and why this result matters
- New Arup report places children at the heart of urban planning
- The London Plan is just the start | Child in the City
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child accidents child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow
- What is more dangerous, an adventure playground or a conventional playground? ow.ly/DaYG30jzj5N. @popupplay k… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- V stimulating talk - thanks for inviting me @CathPrisk: "So amazing to hear from the great @SirKenRobinson this mor… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- Honoured to be speaking in Seoul on 4 May at a play conf organised by @unicefkorea ow.ly/bzH230jxkga #playoutdoors #urbanchildhoods 3 days ago
- RT @basurama: Sin riesgo no hay aprendizaje #playground @DerechoaJugar @reinventapatio eldefinido.cl/actualidad/mun… vía @timrgill 4 days ago
- Last kindergarten in the woods? Reposting with update. ow.ly/WWAn30jo7oF @RichLouv @FSAForestSchool #outdoorplay #edchat #ecechat 4 days ago
- 757,634 page views since July '11