One of the challenges of writing about the Bulger killing is confronting the enormity of what happened to James, and its catastrophic impact on his family. To hear the interview with James’s father Ralph Bulger on Radio Four yesterday morning is to hear a man driven to the very edge of self-destruction by the tragedy that befell him.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Announcing a new project to build the case for more child-friendly cities
- How street play can help save cities from the car
- What’s so bad about a father trying to make the world a more play-friendly place?
- Playground surfacing (again), cycle helmets and public risk: there are no simple answers
- A small but potentially significant win for risk benefit assessment
- Making the case for more playful and child-friendly places
- Back to the future: how London’s new mayor can reconnect children with nature
- An alert and call for action – a new Standard threat to play provision | Bernard Spiegal
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- Yay! Thanks to @wcmtuk I will be studying child-friendly urban planning in 6 cities. ow.ly/dkR230a45Pz 5 days ago
- "Children are being reared in captivity" - emotive, but true. Read on for what we do about it... ow.ly/fTol309ZMg1 1 week ago
- Space for play event, London 20/3 ow.ly/JdWT309JRvP compiled by @adevoce w @wkrussell @playingoutCIC @SLG_artupdates and more 2 weeks ago
- RT @LittlForestFolk: So true! "Great things never came from comfort zones" @timrgill @childcareexpo https://t.co/zPrSZD3O4W 2 weeks ago
- I'm in! RT @wildseedlings: The NO RULES school in NZ! Greater #risk = greater #learningoutcomes #Freeplay #play youtube.com/watch?v=r1Y0cu… 4 weeks ago
- 668,548 page views since July '11