One of the challenges of writing about the Bulger killing is confronting the enormity of what happened to James, and its catastrophic impact on his family. To hear the interview with James’s father Ralph Bulger on Radio Four yesterday morning is to hear a man driven to the very edge of self-destruction by the tragedy that befell him.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Is child-friendly planning a luxury that only rich cities can afford?
- The Chinese educational revolution with outdoor play as its beating heart
- A tribute to Frank Dobson
- Putting children at the heart of urban planning: a call for action
- Why one city is undergoing a child-friendly revolution
- How to build cities fit for children
- Risk, fear and freedom: a plea to parents
- An interview with… Tim Gill
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- RT @Urban95cm: Missed our #Urban95Festival last month? Join our #livechat this Thurs 23 at 4pm CET with the hashtag #Urban95Chat! Hear @Te… 7 hours ago
- "76% of people think that for the sake of the environment, everyone should reduce their driving" - @RogerHarrabin q… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 14 hours ago
- Lessons from #Ghent about #childfriendlycities. With links to 2 new @guardian pieces inc one by @carltonreid… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- #childrensrights are now enshrined in Swedish law. What does this mean for planning and development? An industry vi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- RT @fzudohna: Thrilled to see our #urbanchildhoods work with @BvLFoundation and @official_rpc is a finalist at the 2020 @TheMCA_UK awards!… 1 day ago
- 885,337 page views since July '11