American safety standards agency ASTM is considering a flawed new proposal – very similar to one rejected a few months ago – in a continued attempt to ratchet up requirements for playground surfacing. This in spite of growing calls for a wider, more transparent and thoughtful debate on the role and influence of playground standards.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Leading NGO calls for new thinking on play safety around the world
- How a focus on child-friendliness revived one city’s fortunes
- What is more dangerous, an adventure playground or a conventional playground?
- Last kindergarten in the woods?
- The city that got serious about child-friendly urban planning
- Antwerp’s Play Space Web: smart, child-friendly neighbourhood planning in action
- Studying child-friendly cities, Northern European style
- Snow 1, Snapchat 0 – and why this result matters
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- Some neat, simple, super-low-cost ideas for play features from the lovely people at @playgroundideas (Happy Birthda… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Here is a news article from a S Korean paper about the play conference in June, where I spoke alongside Japanese an… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- News of what could be an engaging event this Saturday from our friends at @LondonNPC . nationalparkcity.london/fair 2 days ago
- It's also happening in London - see Aldgate Sq. Turning street space into people space in NYC. ow.ly/ROmT30kZdW4 2 days ago
- RT @mbrussoni: New survey for parents raising small children in cities by @CityLab to help with their new series of stories. great to see @… 3 days ago
- 776,799 page views since July '11