Just before Christmas, I was helping out at an after-school play session in a community centre in Tower Hamlets in East London. Eight-year-old Jane arrived, took a plastic mug from the kitchen, sat down at a table near me, and started clapping her hands and the table, and tapping and flipping the cup, in a repetitive, rhythmic routine.
About Rethinking Childhood
This website is managed by Tim Gill, an independent scholar and global advocate for children’s play and mobility. His work embraces writing, research, consultancy and public speaking.
Search this website
- Missed the launch events for ‘Urban Playground’? Watch again and read more here
- Announcing 2 launch events for ‘Urban Playground’
- A reminder of the significance of play in lockdown
- My new book ‘Urban Playground’: Sneak peek and seasonal discounted price
- A vibrant young city is building better neighbourhoods for early childhood. Can it sustain and broaden its impact?
- Covid-19 and children: what does the science tell us, and what does this mean as the lockdown is eased?
- Academics highlight children’s need for street play during lockdown
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
- Festive sale news: 20% off Urban Playground (and many more books) via @RIBABooks! Read about great… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- RT @capita_social: We are delighted that #EarlyChildhoodMatters 2021 is out today. This edition places #youngchildren at the center of th… 3 days ago
- Love this 👇. Goor public transport (or mass transit if you prefer) is an essential but neglected aspect of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- "Makes a compelling argument for #childfriendliness... provides a clarity of arguments which makes it an enjoyable… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- RT @TimHarford: Ten Easy Rules to Make Sense of Statistics The THREAD OF THREADS (please spread the word) RULE ZERO *Indiscriminate doubt… 3 days ago
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia Bernard van Leer Foundation campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- 1,027,294 page views since July '11