Just before Christmas, I was helping out at an after-school play session in a community centre in Tower Hamlets in East London. Eight-year-old Jane arrived, took a plastic mug from the kitchen, sat down at a table near me, and started clapping her hands and the table, and tapping and flipping the cup, in a repetitive, rhythmic routine.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- An immodest proposal for Jeff Bezos’s Earth Fund
- Is child-friendly planning a luxury that only rich cities can afford?
- The Chinese educational revolution with outdoor play as its beating heart
- A tribute to Frank Dobson
- Putting children at the heart of urban planning: a call for action
- Why one city is undergoing a child-friendly revolution
- How to build cities fit for children
- Risk, fear and freedom: a plea to parents
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- RT @dbenattar: Very fortunate to have @timrgill as guest speaker at the second meeting of the Israel National Steering Committee for crea… 10 hours ago
- How #JeffBezos can shake things up with his #earthfund. RTs and reactions please! ow.ly/Fz0f50ysmpN… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 12 hours ago
- “We are approving the use of fire pits in schools.” Rotem Zahavi, Head of Safety, Israel Ministry of Education. Yes… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 13 hours ago
- RT @dbornat: Come along, looking forward to a conversation about cities, urbanism and designing spaces for people (inc of course children). 1 day ago
- RT @playingout: A bold and brilliant proposal from @timrgill to @JeffBezos - when it comes to future of humans on this planet, we gotta… 3 days ago
- 890,809 page views since July '11