Just before Christmas, I was helping out at an after-school play session in a community centre in Tower Hamlets in East London. Eight-year-old Jane arrived, took a plastic mug from the kitchen, sat down at a table near me, and started clapping her hands and the table, and tapping and flipping the cup, in a repetitive, rhythmic routine.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Why one city is undergoing a child-friendly revolution
- How to build cities fit for children
- Risk, fear and freedom: a plea to parents
- An interview with… Tim Gill
- Leading NGO calls for new thinking on play safety around the world
- How a focus on child-friendliness revived one city’s fortunes
- What is more dangerous, an adventure playground or a conventional playground?
- Last kindergarten in the woods?
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- 859,499 page views since July '11