I was in Bilbao a few weekends ago and spent several evenings in Plaza Nueva, a square in the old town and a popular weekend meeting place for local people. While grown-ups enjoyed drinks and tapas (or to use the Basque term, pintxos) in bars under the elegant colonnades, the central area was humming with children playing. Ball games, scooter races, chalk-picture-drawing, heely tricks (remember Heelys?) and chit-chat were just some of what was in the mix.
About Rethinking Childhood
This website is managed by Tim Gill, an independent scholar and global advocate for children’s play and mobility. His work embraces writing, research, consultancy and public speaking.
Join 1,382 other subscribers
Search this website
- Missed the launch events for ‘Urban Playground’? Watch again and read more here
- Announcing 2 launch events for ‘Urban Playground’
- A reminder of the significance of play in lockdown
- My new book ‘Urban Playground’: Sneak peek and seasonal discounted price
- A vibrant young city is building better neighbourhoods for early childhood. Can it sustain and broaden its impact?
- Covid-19 and children: what does the science tell us, and what does this mean as the lockdown is eased?
- Academics highlight children’s need for street play during lockdown
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
Tim’s twitter feed
- "Civil society is much more likely to have a sustained impact if it builds on the solid foundations of consensus-bu… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- "Does the creation of a specific playground in a park, for instance, mean kids are ‘catered for’?" Lots to think ab… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- Such a rich visit to S Africa last week. Here's one project I heard about: an innovative Cape Town township housing… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- Such a lively, convivial event 👇 - just a shame the conversations had to come to an end. Thanks for making it happe… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @kbatten36: @timrgill @Friendsofmarke1 1 week ago
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia Bernard van Leer Foundation campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- 1,086,603 page views since July '11