I’ve thinking a lot about affordances recently. An affordance is something in the environment that makes an offer to a person, or that reveals a possible function. Here is an example: a flat hard surface about 20 – 40 cm off the ground affords sitting.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- A vibrant young city is building better neighbourhoods for early childhood. Can it sustain and broaden its impact?
- Covid-19 and children: what does the science tell us, and what does this mean as the lockdown is eased?
- Academics highlight children’s need for street play during lockdown
- UK Government action on children’s play during the coronavirus crisis
- Play in the time of coronavirus
- An immodest proposal for Jeff Bezos’s Earth Fund
- Is child-friendly planning a luxury that only rich cities can afford?
- The Chinese educational revolution with outdoor play as its beating heart
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia Bernard van Leer Foundation campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child-friendly urban planning child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community deep play design early childhood early years education evidence Forest school freedom free range kids Freiburg Funding health Health and Safety Executive HSE London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Netherlands outdoor education outdoor learning outdoor play parenting planning policy play Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public health public policy public space research Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure Rotterdam schools standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism Urban planning USA video Walthamstow Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- "It is critical to consider how children’s wellbeing may be affected by lockdown and the prospect of returning to s… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 hours ago
- RT @ECEPolicyWorks: NOW we’re talking. A brilliant idea from 3 NYC public school teachers... #ReopeningSchools #OutdoorLearning https:… 11 hours ago
- Great stuff. @OPALOutdoorplay are play heroes twitter.com/ludicology/sta… 11 hours ago
- RT @alisonstenning: "Children .. desperately need a summer of play, fresh air, friendship, running around and FUN after the restrictions, h… 12 hours ago
- What @WHO says here is “*low* community transmission”. That is a (difficult) judgement call. It should also conside… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 12 hours ago
- 936,441 page views since July '11