Street play initiatives can make a real difference to the lives of thousands of children and families across an urban area. This was the key message of the first ever area-wide study of a street play programme, which I carried out for Hackney Council. My evaluation – launched by the London Borough last Friday – also revealed that schemes have caused minimal levels of traffic disruption, and have faced very little local opposition.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- All party group puts play at the heart of proposed child health strategy
- Playground safety: troubling new move from ASTM
- Seeking stories of the Kidzfield at Glastonbury
- Is North America on the brink of a play renaissance?
- ASTM playground safety proposal defeated – but it could yet return
- How many Canadian children die in playground accidents? An open question to Rolf Huber
- Talks and workshops in Canada next month
- Dear politicians, playing children bring communities together – but they need you to protect their space
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- Good news! RT @adevoce: All party group puts play at the heart of proposed child health strategy policyforplay.com/2015/10/13/all… 15 hours ago
- Spirit conf, next week in Cardiff. @PlayWales puts risk on the agenda. ow.ly/Tayd7 5 days ago
- Enjoy! > @LyndseyJF: Just ordered @timrgill book on being risk adverse! Can't wait to start reading! http://t.co/OK30JSG7gP 5 days ago
- RT @MidlothianPlay: Bookings open 28 Nov play conference 'Un-popping the bubble wrap' keynote speaker @timrgill. tinyurl.com/pmf2jx7 5 days ago
- RT @betterleeds: Walls between yards...irresistible!! Streetplay in Burley today :D http://t.co/cR9rCdUby6 1 week ago
- 514,823 page views since July '11