One should teach children to dance
on a tightrope without a safety net,
to sleep at night alone under the sky,
to row a boat out on the open sea.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Is this film the tipping point for a more free-range childhood?
- How do we respond to daredevil children?
- Can ordinary people turn a car park into an urban park?
- Seattle blazes a hopscotch trail
- Hopscotch ban is not all bad news
- The wobbly bridge revisited, or the problem with playground standards
- The wobbly bridge, or why it is harder to manage risk in playgrounds than factories
- News Consumption Disorder: symptoms, diagnosis and cure
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Australia campaign car dependence child-friendly cities childhood child safety deep play design early years education freedom free range kids health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder neighbourhood outdoor play parenting planning policy play playground play space public policy public space responsibility Risk risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- News from @fsassociation: Forest School Trainees eligible for FREE MEMBERSHIP. Please RT. #FSA ow.ly/m5YN5 18 hours ago
- Hey #Forestschool types - the @FSAssociation has joined twitter! you know what to do... 19 hours ago
- Have you seen #projectwildthing? Check my review! Add your views! ow.ly/m0fkm @wearewildthing #naturalchildhood 3 days ago
- MT @ntextaffairs @jonbcollins: Another great review for new film #ProjectWildThing forgetoday.com/fuse/docfest-2… #naturalchildhood 4 days ago
- Have you seen #projectwildthing? Check my review! Add your views! ow.ly/m0f1o @wearewildthing #naturalchildhood 4 days ago
- 247,313 page views since July '11