A few days ago former primary school head teacher Juliet Robertson got in touch after reading my blog post on the school that banned children from having best friends. Juliet is now a leading educational consultant; her blog I’m a teacher, get me OUTSIDE here! is for my money one of the most lively, creative outdoor learning sites on the web. She had some fascinating insights on the topic of school bans, and agreed to share them here. I’d love to hear your thoughts on what Juliet has to say – especially if you have worked in schools yourself.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Playground safety: troubling new move from ASTM
- Seeking stories of the Kidzfield at Glastonbury
- Is North America on the brink of a play renaissance?
- ASTM playground safety proposal defeated – but it could yet return
- How many Canadian children die in playground accidents? An open question to Rolf Huber
- Talks and workshops in Canada next month
- Dear politicians, playing children bring communities together – but they need you to protect their space
- Leading injury prevention experts call for halt in playground safety proposals
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- RT @betterleeds: Walls between yards...irresistible!! Streetplay in Burley today :D http://t.co/cR9rCdUby6 9 hours ago
- Still seeking stories of the @Kidzfield at #glastonbury. Pls share with festival types. ow.ly/T1arY Thanks! 9 hours ago
- A pair of skaters exploit the streetspace created by #miniholland in #E17. http://t.co/cUFZcreBwj 3 days ago
- City cracking down on street hockey players. ow.ly/SzDZm. One for Torontonians and @mbingley. Via @playingoutCIC 1 week ago
- Declining student resilience a serious problem for colleges - Peter Gray. ow.ly/SyUXG via @londonplay 1 week ago
- 512,578 page views since July '11