A few days ago former primary school head teacher Juliet Robertson got in touch after reading my blog post on the school that banned children from having best friends. Juliet is now a leading educational consultant; her blog I’m a teacher, get me OUTSIDE here! is for my money one of the most lively, creative outdoor learning sites on the web. She had some fascinating insights on the topic of school bans, and agreed to share them here. I’d love to hear your thoughts on what Juliet has to say – especially if you have worked in schools yourself.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Save Emdrup Adventure Playground | Love Outdoor Play
- Still reared in captivity
- What are my six top tips for parents – and why did I even write them?
- Bold move to kickstart an outdoor play renaissance in Canada
- Festive cheer from the land of the free
- 10 Ways to Build a City for Children • This City Life
- All party group puts play at the heart of proposed child health strategy
- Playground safety: troubling new move from ASTM
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- RT @PlayWales: Looking for support to navigate the challenges of managing/developing a play space? Download FREE community toolkit https:/… 3 days ago
- #SaveEmdrup Adventure Playground: a special place in the history of children's #righttoplay. ow.ly/XVXor Pls share #outdoorplay 3 days ago
- RT @Kateblincoe: Spot on from @timrgill They are still bred in captivity. rethinkingchildhood.com/2016/02/02/sti… 5 days ago
- Hey @natures_voice never mind #BigGardenBirdwatch how about a #bigoutdoorchildwatch? ow.ly/XQ6DJ 5 days ago
- Good to see @STS_London in twitterland. The website has lots on reconnecting London's kids with #nature. ow.ly/XN3n9 6 days ago
- 551,231 page views since July '11