The call by Professor Dame Sally Davies, the Government’s top health advisor, for children to be given vitamin pills has kick-started another lively debate about the health of our nation’s children (this morning I switched on my radio to hear film-maker David ‘Project Wild Thing’ Bond flying the flag for nature, not pills, on BBC Five Live with Nicky Campbell). But that was just one media-friendly recommendation taken from 15 chapters and appendices of material. A closer look at the report shows a more thoughtful set of prescriptions, with some significant and positive messages about the value of outdoor play and the need for a balanced approach to risk. This post is a public service. Its aim is to relay some of the CMO’s messages, so that advocates for play and the outdoors can quickly find and make use of them.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Could this be the most play-literate PR video ever?
- Hidden woods: a graceful, punchy reminder of the power of natural places
- Building the case for play: help me fill the gaps
- Is technology killing children’s play culture, or breathing new life into it?
- Corporate ad campaign embraces risk-taking by children
- Help build the policy case for play
- Tackling the playground claim culture
- Play services decimated by cuts
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground Australia bullying campaign car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood child murder children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure exploration fire freedom free range kids Greater London Authority health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London London Sustainable Development Commission media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Olympics outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding streets tragedy transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow Wood St youth crime
- at #playsummit @mbplaywork, @d0n0harm bring Marketta Kytta's ideas of child-friendliness and affordances to life. 1 week ago
- RT @Counterpane: Kids have arrived now #playsummit @gidirector http://t.co/9wvKGbd4Ss 1 week ago
- Mark Halden from Glamis AP sharing his struggle to keep that play oasis going at #playsummit. 1 week ago
- Kolle 37 Berlin was once a bomb site- maybe it should twin with Glamis Adv Pg (also here at #playsummit). 1 week ago
- "In playing children rearrange their world to make it either less scary or less boring." @wkrussell at #playsummit. 1 week ago
- 357,480 page views since July '11