Here in Australia, I recently visited Bubup Nairm, City of Port Phillip’s newest family and children’s centre. Opened in April this year, it brings together a range of childcare, health and family support services in a state-of-the-art hub building with a $A 15m [£10 million, $US 14 million] price tag. It is an impressive place. But it has not had the easiest of starts. I was told that just a few weeks after it opened, a four-year-old child was hurt and ended up in hospital. She and another child had been handling some rocks in a stone well in the garden, and a rock slipped out of one child’s hands and fell on the other’s, breaking her finger.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Save Emdrup Adventure Playground | Love Outdoor Play
- Still reared in captivity
- What are my six top tips for parents – and why did I even write them?
- Bold move to kickstart an outdoor play renaissance in Canada
- Festive cheer from the land of the free
- 10 Ways to Build a City for Children • This City Life
- All party group puts play at the heart of proposed child health strategy
- Playground safety: troubling new move from ASTM
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration freedom free range kids Funding health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- "Shielding youngsters from the real world is not the answer." 3 cheers for @careinspect ow.ly/Y4dp1 from @thescotsman 9 hours ago
- RT @PlayWales: Looking for support to navigate the challenges of managing/developing a play space? Download FREE community toolkit https:/… 4 days ago
- #SaveEmdrup Adventure Playground: a special place in the history of children's #righttoplay. ow.ly/XVXor Pls share #outdoorplay 4 days ago
- RT @Kateblincoe: Spot on from @timrgill They are still bred in captivity. rethinkingchildhood.com/2016/02/02/sti… 6 days ago
- Hey @natures_voice never mind #BigGardenBirdwatch how about a #bigoutdoorchildwatch? ow.ly/XQ6DJ 6 days ago
- 551,548 page views since July '11