Here in Australia, I recently visited Bubup Nairm, City of Port Phillip’s newest family and children’s centre. Opened in April this year, it brings together a range of childcare, health and family support services in a state-of-the-art hub building with a $A 15m [£10 million, $US 14 million] price tag. It is an impressive place. But it has not had the easiest of starts. I was told that just a few weeks after it opened, a four-year-old child was hurt and ended up in hospital. She and another child had been handling some rocks in a stone well in the garden, and a rock slipped out of one child’s hands and fell on the other’s, breaking her finger.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood child murder children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Greater London Authority health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- *sighs* RT @RichLouv: RT @WildAboutVan: @mbrussoni @RichLouv @timrgill #treehouse twitter.com/globalnews/sta… 3 days ago
- Playground surfacing proposal from @astmintl defeated - but... ow.ly/3xUank #riskisinournature 4 days ago
- old skool! > @PlayGroundology: @gabriellegalla genus - red teetter totterus at rest in keji, ns #playoutdoors http://t.co/ROlPQHAObG 1 week ago
- Twas good no? @PlayGroundology: Thx @timrgill @DHWNovaScotia @SteppingUpHFX for a poppin' session yesterday http://t.co/xIzvWJzrFp 1 week ago
- Well, what an engaging, fun-filled trip to Canada - but it’s good to be back on British soil. #riskisinournature #homeisinourhearts 1 week ago
- 482,677 page views since July '11