What role does news coverage play in shaping the way we think about the risks children face? Is a diet of bad news really bad for us, and if so, what can we do about it? These questions were on my mind after Monday night’s engaging debate on modern childhood organised by my old employers the National Children’s Bureau (NCB) to launch its 50th anniversary celebrations.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Can ordinary people turn a car park into an urban park?
- Seattle blazes a hopscotch trail
- Hopscotch ban is not all bad news
- The wobbly bridge revisited, or the problem with playground standards
- The wobbly bridge, or why it is harder to manage risk in playgrounds than factories
- News Consumption Disorder: symptoms, diagnosis and cure
- A century of rethinking childhood
- Are child-friendly city approaches being used to push out poor families?
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Australia bullying campaign car dependence child-friendly cities childhood child safety design early years education freedom free range kids health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder neighbourhood outdoor play parenting planning policy play playground play space public policy public space responsibility Risk risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- How to turn a car park into a park for people. ow.ly/ljQ1V Idea from @samscam. HT @suecooksheff 6 hours ago
- RT @ProfSLHolloway: Thanks to John, Peter, Sarah et al. for organising a stimulating discussion about diverse form of play #playinausterity 1 day ago
- "Can we recreate a community of practice for childrearing?" Arthur Battram-my fave quote from #playinausterity 1 day ago
- Nice 2 hear MT @hiltonchildcare: I agree @dadzclub - did dissertation on play, risk taking with toddlers. Inspired by @timrgill + @ProfTanya 2 days ago
- RT @lisaaburman: Privilege to work with EChO committee - watch out 4 amazing Aug conf with @timrgill & Adam Bienenstock: Risky Business! 2 days ago
- 238,025 page views since July '11