How do schools and other settings help children to deal with arguments and disputes? And are some well-meaning approaches doing more harm than good? A young Australian who I met on my recent visit there had some interesting answers to these questions.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- 10 Ways to Build a City for Children • This City Life
- All party group puts play at the heart of proposed child health strategy
- Playground safety: troubling new move from ASTM
- Seeking stories of the Kidzfield at Glastonbury
- Is North America on the brink of a play renaissance?
- ASTM playground safety proposal defeated – but it could yet return
- How many Canadian children die in playground accidents? An open question to Rolf Huber
- Talks and workshops in Canada next month
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- Nice study via @TMox_NS: vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/11/25/cos… sounds like unstructured #outdoorplay might solve the problem of boring playgrounds. 9 hours ago
- Kids being let down by poor play facilities - @APIplay. goo.gl/MSqPFm via @localgoveditors #nowhere2play ow.ly/VjTsB 12 hours ago
- I just added 'Play in the good times: the (English) inside story' to @academia! academia.edu/19285154/Play_… 12 hours ago
- RT @MidlothianPlay: Are you using risk-benefit assessment yet? Lots of inspiration from @timrgill at our conference today 14 hours ago
- News of a playgd design comp from @cdesignc in Philadelphia. 3 cash prizes of $10,000. Register interest by 30 Nov. ow.ly/UY9Qh 1 week ago
- 528,690 page views since July '11