If we reflect on how we think about risk in our day-to-day lives, many would agree that we tend to focus too much on the negatives – the what ifs, the worst case scenarios, the horror stories – and not enough on the positives. We know that nothing grabs our attention quite like fear. (So does the media, of course.) This bias makes it very hard for us to take a balanced approach to risk. Here’s one reason why.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Seattle blazes a hopscotch trail
- Hopscotch ban is not all bad news
- The wobbly bridge revisited, or the problem with playground standards
- The wobbly bridge, or why it is harder to manage risk in playgrounds than factories
- News Consumption Disorder: symptoms, diagnosis and cure
- A century of rethinking childhood
- Are child-friendly city approaches being used to push out poor families?
- A broken limb, the Health and Safety Executive, and a good outcome
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Australia bullying campaign car dependence child-friendly cities childhood child safety design early years education freedom free range kids health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder neighbourhood outdoor play parenting planning policy play playground play space public policy public space responsibility Risk risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- Nice 2 hear MT @hiltonchildcare: I agree @dadzclub - did dissertation on play, risk taking with toddlers. Inspired by @timrgill + @ProfTanya 1 day ago
- RT @lisaaburman: Privilege to work with EChO committee - watch out 4 amazing Aug conf with @timrgill & Adam Bienenstock: Risky Business! 1 day ago
- MT @kate_hammer: RTs & faves #RSAKith TY @RSAEvents @clearaly @pal_labs @ImmyKaur @JemimaG @jonathanMheir @NJGard @ImAliceD @A_PConsulting 5 days ago
- Seattle blazes a hopscotch trail. ow.ly/l6eDr. 1 for you @kaboom @Richard_Florida @playworks @AtlanticCities? 5 days ago
- Seattle blazes a hopscotch trail. ow.ly/l6eDr @jacksoncommons (2 good to ignore!) @aliceplayingout 5 days ago
- 237,414 page views since July '11