The Health and Safety Executive – the nation’s safety regulator – is so often the fall guy for everything that is wrong about the way risk is managed. But last week I heard an anecdote that brought home to me – in an unexpected way – the positive role HSE is playing in building support for a balanced, thoughtful approach to risk in children’s play. I was running a workshop on risk-benefit assessment at a playwork conference, and one of the participants – a manager of an after-school club – shared a revealing story. It begins last September, with a boy breaking a limb.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Seattle blazes a hopscotch trail
- Hopscotch ban is not all bad news
- The wobbly bridge revisited, or the problem with playground standards
- The wobbly bridge, or why it is harder to manage risk in playgrounds than factories
- News Consumption Disorder: symptoms, diagnosis and cure
- A century of rethinking childhood
- Are child-friendly city approaches being used to push out poor families?
- A broken limb, the Health and Safety Executive, and a good outcome
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Australia bullying campaign car dependence child-friendly cities childhood child safety design early years education freedom free range kids health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder neighbourhood outdoor play parenting planning policy play playground play space public policy public space responsibility Risk risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- MT @kate_hammer: RTs & faves #RSAKith TY @RSAEvents @clearaly @pal_labs @ImmyKaur @JemimaG @jonathanMheir @NJGard @ImAliceD @A_PConsulting 1 day ago
- Seattle blazes a hopscotch trail. ow.ly/l6eDr. 1 for you @kaboom @Richard_Florida @playworks @AtlanticCities? 1 day ago
- Seattle blazes a hopscotch trail. ow.ly/l6eDr @jacksoncommons (2 good to ignore!) @aliceplayingout 1 day ago
- Hard to livetweet Jay Griffiths as her language and delivery is so engaging. I recommend listening live (see my previous tweet). #RSAkith 1 day ago
- "Children are not aliens to wildness but akin to it, wild at the raw core." #Kith 1 day ago
- 236,005 page views since July '11