Have you ever looked at a piece of derelict land in your area and thought “that could make a nice spot for a park” – and then felt your spirit fall as it sits boarded up for years, or worse still, gets turned into a temporary car park? Manchester resident Sam Easterby-Smith has, and has decided to do something about it. He has created Parkstarter: a crowd-funded, pop-up park creation scheme. And he wants to try it out in his home city.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Aussies push to expand the horizons of childhood
- My new report ‘The Play Return’ makes a powerful case to policy makers
- Crowdfunded campaign aims to give every child access to forest schools
- Play Wales has led the way in championing play – now it needs your help
- Evidence is vital in making the case for play
- Hurt, blame, stupidity: when being a free-range parent does not go to plan
- Could this be the most play-literate PR video ever?
- Hidden woods: a graceful, punchy reminder of the power of natural places
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground Australia bullying campaign car dependence child-friendly cities child accidents child death child development childhood child murder children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Greater London Authority health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London London Sustainable Development Commission media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding streets tragedy transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow youth crime
- MT @ExternalWorks: Just over a week until @SutcliffePlay Home Show 9-10 Sept, including valuable "Evidence for Play" seminar with @timrgill 20 hours ago
- ... @sirkenrobinson can't say the education system is a catastrophe, and then say he's not interested in evidence. 21 hours ago
- Listening to @sirkenrobinson on @BBCRadio4: support much of what he says, but... 21 hours ago
- *blushes* RT @UBC_PDCE: Rethinking Childhood: An essential blog for active and imaginative educators! rethinkingchildhood.com 3 days ago
- Details of David @wearewildthing Bond's visit to the Pacific NW in 2 weeks. Sounds fun! ow.ly/AOfEn 4 days ago
- 391,320 page views since July '11