In my last post, I used the example of a wobbly bridge to highlight why it is hard to manage risk in play spaces. I promised to say more about the role of equipment standards in managing risk, and why they need to be rethought. This post delivers on that promise.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Aussies push to expand the horizons of childhood
- My new report ‘The Play Return’ makes a powerful case to policy makers
- Crowdfunded campaign aims to give every child access to forest schools
- Play Wales has led the way in championing play – now it needs your help
- Evidence is vital in making the case for play
- Hurt, blame, stupidity: when being a free-range parent does not go to plan
- Could this be the most play-literate PR video ever?
- Hidden woods: a graceful, punchy reminder of the power of natural places
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground Australia bullying campaign car dependence child-friendly cities child accidents child death child development childhood child murder children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Greater London Authority health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London London Sustainable Development Commission media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding streets tragedy transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow youth crime
- #Istanbul's first play street opens (tho not clear why CCTV needed). ow.ly/Byxoc @playingoutcic @sustrans 15 hours ago
- This Sat, get under the skin of one of London's best adventure playgrounds. ow.ly/Bytr1 @londonplay @playengland 16 hours ago
- Tree swing near #selborne, Hants. ow.ly/i/6T6Zr. Tests suggested benefits outweighed risk. 1 day ago
- Would Dorothy want to reach the Emerald City in a car? ow.ly/BmXUG #SafeToSchool 5 days ago
- HT @sustrans and @playingoutCIC via @playengland: #streetplay success on #playday birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-… 5 days ago
- 394,531 page views since July '11