I was in Bilbao a few weekends ago and spent several evenings in Plaza Nueva, a square in the old town and a popular weekend meeting place for local people. While grown-ups enjoyed drinks and tapas (or to use the Basque term, pintxos) in bars under the elegant colonnades, the central area was humming with children playing. Ball games, scooter races, chalk-picture-drawing, heely tricks (remember Heelys?) and chit-chat were just some of what was in the mix.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground ASTM Australia bullying campaign Canada car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding standards street play streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- No Ball Games signs to be removed by @aberdeenCC. Yay! ow.ly/RGzUI via @CreativeSTAR 18 hours ago
- The teenage dream of owning a car is dying. ow.ly/RGlyD via @fortunemagazine (note the source!) 19 hours ago
- #Poohsticks hazard alert. Thank you @dcms. ow.ly/Rup9O 5 days ago
- RT @NatureplayFilm: @timrgill Help make it happen for NaturePlay FILM on @indiegogo igg.me/p/1324243/twtr… 6 days ago
- RT @SteppingUpHFX: We want your ideas! Bucket list of outdoor fun for kids under 12. What would you add? ow.ly/RojDp @timrgill 6 days ago
- 505,684 page views since July '11