In my last post, I used the example of a wobbly bridge to highlight why it is hard to manage risk in play spaces. I promised to say more about the role of equipment standards in managing risk, and why they need to be rethought. This post delivers on that promise.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Child-on-child sexual violence: are the media – and the Children’s Commissioner – guilty of scaremongering?
- Whose fire is it anyway?
- Chief Medical Officer prescribes play and risk as well as pills
- Is technology the enemy of an outdoor childhood?
- Think the Scandinavians have succeeded in reconnecting children with nature? Think again
- Why would you want to let your child play out in the street?
- In praise of the emerging Aussie free range childhood movement
- “Those rocks in that well are too dangerous.”
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground Australia benign neglect bullying campaign car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood child murder children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure exploration fire freedom free range kids Greater London Authority health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London London Sustainable Development Commission media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood Olympic park Olympics outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playing out play space playwork policy public policy public space responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding streets tragedy transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow Wood St youth crime
- retro adventure playground film event, 16th Dec. ow.ly/rvNwF @londonplay @playengland 1 week ago
- Are childhood freedoms a factor in Finland's top marks for #OECDPISA? ow.ly/rr5IW 1 week ago
- Today's event - inc. @mayoroflondon -confirms #streetplay is on the rise. @playingoutCIC @londonplay @playengland 1 week ago
- See you there @aliceplayingout > @londonplay Looking forward to London #streetplay seminar today - is there a hash tag? 1 week ago
- Are we protecting our children too much while they play? Read more from this Canadian conf. ow.ly/rmoRG @kidactivecanada 1 week ago
- 314,337 page views since July '11