Street play initiatives can make a real difference to the lives of thousands of children and families across an urban area. This was the key message of the first ever area-wide study of a street play programme, which I carried out for Hackney Council. My evaluation – launched by the London Borough last Friday – also revealed that schemes have caused minimal levels of traffic disruption, and have faced very little local opposition.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Adventure playground Australia bullying campaign car dependence child-friendly cities child death child development childhood child murder children's independent mobility children's moral development child safety community crime deep play design early years EC1 education everyday adventure evidence exploration Forest school freedom free range kids Greater London Authority health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE learning London media Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder nature play neighbourhood outdoor education outdoor play parenting planning policy play playable space Play England playground playground safety playing out Play Safety Forum play space playwork policy public policy public space research responsibility Risk risk assessment risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding street play streets tragedy transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- Thoughtful, revealing, moving, via @FreeRangeKids: Peter Gray interviews Danielle Meitiv bit.ly/1FM2uJh 6 days ago
- Talks, workshops in Canada next month: ow.ly/LBat4 @northvanrc @wildaboutvan @ulethbridge @mbrussoni 6 days ago
- RT @FreeRangeKids: Sorry u have to wake up to this: COPS PICK UP MARYLAND KIDS AGAIN, HOLD THEM FOR 5 HOURS. @Meitiv bit.ly/1NvSjNe 1 week ago
- Join me for "The ReWilded Child" 5-day @schumachercoll course. ow.ly/LwF2H w David Bond @wearewildthing and others. 1 week ago
- “Free play is nature’s means of teaching children that they are not helpless.” Peter Gray, Free to Learn. 1 week ago
- 466,859 page views since July '11