Any civilised society feels a collective wave of grief at the news of the death of a child. When that child has died from something as apparently innocuous as a piece of popcorn, our sense of tragedy is compounded. When we are in the presence of a family whose sense of loss we know to be overpowering, we can feel a correspondingly overwhelming urge to make things right again. To try to offer the bereaved the consolation that, while their own child may no longer be with them, at least no one else will suffer like they have.
About Rethinking ChildhoodThis website is managed by Tim Gill. Tim is interested in the changing nature of childhood. His work - which embraces writing, independent research, consultancy and public speaking - aims to have a positive impact on children's everyday lives.
Search this website
- Seattle blazes a hopscotch trail
- Hopscotch ban is not all bad news
- The wobbly bridge revisited, or the problem with playground standards
- The wobbly bridge, or why it is harder to manage risk in playgrounds than factories
- News Consumption Disorder: symptoms, diagnosis and cure
- A century of rethinking childhood
- Are child-friendly city approaches being used to push out poor families?
- A broken limb, the Health and Safety Executive, and a good outcome
Browse by category
Browse by tagsadventure Australia bullying campaign car dependence child-friendly cities childhood child safety design early years education freedom free range kids health Health and Safety Executive hide and seek HSE London Media coverage mobility National Trust nature nature deficit disorder neighbourhood outdoor play parenting planning policy play playground play space public policy public space responsibility Risk risk benefit assessment road closure schools skateboarding streets transport urban design urbanism USA video Walthamstow
- MT @kate_hammer: RTs & faves #RSAKith TY @RSAEvents @clearaly @pal_labs @ImmyKaur @JemimaG @jonathanMheir @NJGard @ImAliceD @A_PConsulting 2 days ago
- Seattle blazes a hopscotch trail. ow.ly/l6eDr. 1 for you @kaboom @Richard_Florida @playworks @AtlanticCities? 2 days ago
- Seattle blazes a hopscotch trail. ow.ly/l6eDr @jacksoncommons (2 good to ignore!) @aliceplayingout 2 days ago
- Hard to livetweet Jay Griffiths as her language and delivery is so engaging. I recommend listening live (see my previous tweet). #RSAkith 2 days ago
- "Children are not aliens to wildness but akin to it, wild at the raw core." #Kith 3 days ago
- 236,258 page views since July '11